Don’t get zapped
If a piece of electrical equipment at your school doesn’t look safe, it probably isn’t. Electrical hazards can cause serious injuries including burns, unconsciousness and internal damage, or death. We know what these hazards look like:
- a frayed electrical cord;
- an overloaded power bar;
- a damaged ground pin;
- daisy-chained extension cords; and
- a DVD player that just won’t work properly…. the list is long.
The electrical equipment at your school must be kept in good condition. When you see an electrical hazard, don’t wait. Report this hazard right away to your principal. It’s the principal’s job to investigate and deal with your report. Tell your steward and your school’s health and safety representative about your concerns. Get in touch with your ETFO local for more support. Once you start looking for electrical hazards, the list can get long in a hurry!